Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week 27: Stout Cupcakes

I had a cold back in week 26, and Chuck suggested that my coworkers might appreciate it if I didn't bake that weekend.  He's a smart man.  On to week 27 and a recipe that I've been wanting to try for a while now - Martha Stewart's stout cupcakes.  Chuck's a fan of Guinness, so I thought this was a cupcake he'd enjoy.

True story: I hate beer.  And I'm not a huge molasses fan.  So I was a little worried about baking a cupcake for which both beer & molasses play key roles.  Now I know I shouldn't have worried...I love these cupcakes!



They're not especially pretty...but they sure taste good.



One step Martha recommends is placing a cookie sheet below the wire rack before spooning glaze over the cupcakes.  This is what happens if you fail to do that:



Lessons learned and recipe thoughts:

1. I've never tried Guinness, but Chuck says he never would have guessed it was in this cupcake if I hadn't told him.  So if you're hesitating to make these because of the whole Guinness thing...don't be.

2. This cupcake was the perfect texture - moist & delicate.

3. A relatively easy recipe to make.

4. Next time, I'll place cookie sheets under the wire rack.


Stout Cupcakes (from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes)


•3 3/4 cups flour
•1/2 t plus 1/8 t baking soda
•1 3/4 t baking powder
•1 1/4 t salt
•1 T cinnamon
•1 1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg
•1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
•1 1/4 cups unsulfered molasses
•1/2 cup plus 1 T light brown sugar
•2 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
•1 T plus 1 t orange zest
•1 1/4 cups (10 oz) Guinness, poured and settled

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350°. Line standard muffin tin with paper liners.

2.Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

3.With an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat oil, molasses, brown sugar, whole eggs, yolk, zest, and stout until combined. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, beating just until combined.

4.Pour batter, filling each 3/4 full. Bake, rotating tins half way through, for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Place onto wire racks to cool completely before adding glaze.

Glaze

•2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
•1/4 cup Guinness, poured and settled

Whisk together until combined.  Use immediately (spoon over cooled cupcakes and let set).

No comments:

Post a Comment